All about this trip
The Upper Mustang trek isn’t just any ordinary remote valley in Nepal. The entire area of the Upper Mustang, from the Tibetan border in the north to Kaagbeni in the south, tucks in a number of unique experiences for trekkers to feed their eyes and soul.
From the panorama of Nilgiri, Dhaulagiri, Annapurna and other marvelous ranges towards the south, to the trans-Himalayan climate (cool and semi-arid), and the Tibetan–influenced, pristine medieval Buddhist arts, architecture and exotic culture & tradition dating back to the 13th and the 15th century. All contribute to make this, one of the super trekking destinations in Nepal.
It offers a gorgeous scope for visiting Buddhist monasteries, the King’s Palace-built around 1400, temples built during the 15th century; an opportunity to be a part of the very famous Tiji festival and observe the native culture in Lo Manthang and the very rare polyandry system. Trekking to Upper Mustang is also an alternate way to experience the Tibetan culture and landscape.
Opened for visitors only in 1991. This trekking is’nt possible without the permit.
The adventure starts right from the world’s deepest gorge of the Kaligandaki region, following the same trade route (the bank of Kali Gandaki) used in the 15th century, traverse the treeless barren landscape, steep and rocky trail, high peaks, passes, glaciers, a series of 12 caves decorated with 13th century Newari-influenced paintings & Tibetan scripts executed in ink, silver and gold and pre-christian era pottery shards and the alpine valleys, into the world’s highest region of Lo Manthang valley. Along the way, you can also enjoy the lifestyle, settlement and hospitality of Thakali, Gurung and Tibetan people inhibiting the remotest areas of Mustang.
(Random Information: In the movie Planes produced by DisneyToon Studio and released by Walt Disney Pictures in 2013, the Planes land in Mustang, Nepal- one of the stops in Wings Across the World race.)
July to October are the most popular months to visit this region. During winter harsh condition cause a large migration into the lower regions of Nepal.
Bucket List Adventure Travel offers a superb, hassle-free 16 days (customizable) teahouse/lodge Upper Mustang trekking package to help you experience this off-the-beaten trail feel. The package guarantees bed and breakfast in Kathmandu, full board (meal and accommodation) during the trek, an English speaking licensed and experienced guide, and all domestic transportation.
FREE equipment hire on all Nepal holidays!
Already booked on this holiday? Or looking to book on one of our departures? ALL travellers can now take advantage of free hire of a sleeping bag, duffel bag and a down jacket worth £110 – when reserved before your departure date.
Book NOW, save money and help support a country we love. View offer details
Join us on the Upper Mustang Trek
Our Upper Mustang Trek includes 2 nights spent in the beautiful lakeside city of Pokhara
Our Team in Nepal have been guiding around this region since 2001.
You stay in comfortable lodges (or “Tea Houses”) rather than camping & the fantastic Apsara Boutique Hotel in Kathmandu
We take special care of our porters & guides. They are probably the best equipped in Nepal.
Your kit bag is carried for you, so you only need carry a day pack
Prices include all permits
You can take advantage of our free duffel bag, down jacket and sleeping bag for the trek.
The Upper Mustang Trek is suitable for keen walkers/trekkers who are able to walk for 4 – 5 hours in a day, with a light rucksack.
We can forward a detailed equipment list upon booking. However, you can also view our Recommended Equipment for this trip »
Over the years, we have gained an incredible amount of experience and expertise in outdoor equipment and clothing. We have applied this to each trip that we offer and recommend what we believe to be the most suitable items for your trip.
What's included in this tour?
Items that are included in the cost of the tour price
- Airport pick up and drop off by private vehicle
- 3 Nights accommodation in Kathmandu with breakfast
- 1 Night accommodation in Pokhara
- One full day guided city tour by private vehicle in Kathmandu
- Welcome dinner and farewell dinner at one of the best Nepalese restaurant with traditional ethnic music and dance
- ACAP Trekking permits and Tims Permits (Trekkers Security Card)
- Kathmandu – Pokhara by tourist bus (Flight or Car an option with an extra cost)
- Upper Mustang special permit & its procedure
- Flight tickets to Jomsom and return from Pokhara
- Breakfast in Kathmandu and Pokhara
- All meals (Lunch/Dinner/Breakfast) during the trek
- Accommodation on a trek (Lodge/Tea House) or Tent on request
- Seasonal fresh fruit after dinner
- Gov. licensed and well trained English speaking guide and his entire expenses</li
- A porter (One porter for each 2 members) and his entire expenses
- Insurance of Guide and Porter
- All required local tax and Gov tax
- Down jackets , duffel bag and sleeping bag
What's not included in this tour?
Items that are not included in the cost of the tour price
- International flights to Kathmandu
- Nepal arrival Visa
- Meals in the city except breakfast and other mentioned special dinner
- Personal expenses including alcoholic drinks and beverages
- Monument entrance fees
- Your travel insurance that covers Helicopter evacuation
- Any other extended trips and accommodation