All about this trip
Island peak, named by Eric Shipton’s mountaineering team in 1953 or its local name ,Imja Tse is located on top of the Chhukung glacier amid Ama Dablam and Mt Lhotse. The peak flaunts itself as an island in a sea of ice. Thus, this peak lying in the middle of Chhukung valley is known as an Island peak.
Starting from Lukla the trail makes its way through different colorful settlements of Sherpa people, prayer rocks, monasteries, suspension bridges, glacial moraines (Lhotse and Imja), Rhododendron forests, and the rare species of flora, fauna and birds in Sagarmatha National Park right up until the Island Peak summit, where you will be greeted with simply ‘the WOW’ scenery of Mt. Makalu in the east. Ama Dablam and Baruntse also stand proud in the south and Nuptse, Lhotse, Lhotse Shar and Lhotse Middle (towering above 8000m) the north. Moreover, the hospitality offered by the Sherpa people adds even more warmth especially during the extremely cold days.
However, to enjoy both weather and the best views, it is very important to plan this trek at the right time of year. The best time to climb Island Peak are; mid March to May and mid September to November.
Though difficult, the trek is not massively technical. A physically fit and mentally determined person can plan this trek and climb.
High altitude weather conditions are usually unpredictable, even during the best trekking seasons. Because of this, there may be sudden schedule changes with domestic flights to and from Lukla. The time duration varies depending on the weather conditions. The flights may be delayed for a minimum of several hours extending to several days, depending on the weather conditions. Therefore, we strongly recommend you to get ready for this by adding a few extra days to your plan. However, if everything goes according to plan you will be left with a few days that can be well utilized enjoying other attractions like rafting, jungle safari, shopping and many more.
Safety: During the entire trek, the team leader provided by the company is responsible for your safety. The team leader will make every effort to keep up with the itinerary provided to you; however, if it concerns your safety, then the team leader holds every authority to cancel any part of the itinerary. Also, unexpected change in weather conditions, the health condition of a group member, unpredicted natural disasters can all contribute to changes in the itinerary provided. Therefore, we expect you to be both flexible and supportive during the entire trek.
Already booked on this trip? Or looking to book on one of our departures in 2019, 2020 or even 2021? ALL EverTrekkers have free hire of our winter sleeping bags and 800 fill North Face down jacket worth £110 – Just let us know when you book and we can get these reserved for you.
You also get a FREE 80 Ltr EverTrek duffel bag to keep when you arrive in Kathmandu!
Book NOW, save money and help support a country we love. View offer details
Join us on the Island Peak Expedition
Climb a Himalayan Peak reaching altitude of over 6000m with spine-tingling views.
Our Team in Nepal have been guiding to Island Peak since 2001.
You stay in comfortable lodges (or “Tea Houses”) on the trek and looked after by our finest cooks whilst camping
We take special care of our porters & guides. They are probably the best equipped in Nepal.
Your kit bag is carried for you, so you only need carry a day pack
Prices include all permits
You can take advantage of our free duffel bag, down jacket and sleeping bag for the trek.
The Island Peak Expedition is a tough and arduous trek and climb. It is meant to be challenging. You must be a fit, regular hillwalker to take part, used to long, consecutive days walking in the British Mountains, preferably in Winter. You should have experience of walking steep, boulder-strewn paths where the use of hands has been essential to scramble upwards over rocky steps. Previous experience of Himalayan trekking is preferable, but not essential as long as you are a very regular and committed hill-walker. As this route takes you over remote high passes and a Himalayan peak, experience of having been to 5000-metres before is ideal.
We can forward a detailed equipment list upon booking. However you can also view our Recommended Equipment for this trip »
Over the years, we have gained an incredible amount of experience and expertise in outdoor equipment and clothing. We have applied this to each trip that we offer and recommend what we believe to be the most suitable items for your trip.
What's included in this tour?
Items that are included in the cost of the tour price
- Airport Pick-up and Drop-off
- 3 nights accommodation in Kathmandu with breakfast
- Full-day guided city tour
- Welcome and farewell dinner at one of the best Nepalese restaurants with some traditional Nepalese dancing and music
- Airport transfers for domestic flight
- All Trekking permits
- Kathmandu-Lukla-Kathmandu flight tickets
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) during the trek
- All accommodation whilst on trek (Lodge/Tea house) or Tent on request
- Fresh fruit after dinner
- Filtered water on the entire trek (Save on plastic bottles)
- All required local and government taxes
- 3 days on camp during the climbing
- One experienced Climbing guide for climbing section & One trekking guide for trekking Section
- Porters (One porter for each 2 members) and his entire expenses
- Insurance of Guide and Porter
- Island Peak Special Climbing Permit
- 800 fill North Face down jacket and winter sleeping bag (if required)
- FREE 80ltr EverTrek duffel bag
- EverTrek Trip Planner & Access to online programme
- EverTrekker T shirt & Neck Buff
- Oximeter & Heart Rate Monitor– To calculate Oxygen Levels and Heart rate to help with Altitude
- 15% discount with Cotswold Outdoor
What's not included in this tour?
Items that are not included in the cost of the tour price
- International flight to Kathmandu
- Nepal arrival visa
- Meals in the city except breakfast and other mentioned special dinner</li
- Personal expenses including mineral water, and alcoholic drinks and beverages
- Climbing gear (Climbing rope, ice axe, ice crew and snow bar) We will help you to hire or buy these before or in Kathmandu
- Your travel insurance that covers Helicopter evacuation
- Any other extended trips and accommodation